[security-dev] input on bearer tokens and cookies

Anil Saldhana Anil.Saldhana at redhat.com
Wed Dec 12 15:43:16 EST 2012

Bill, if you look at RFC 6750 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6750), they
have a recommendation:
===============
  Don't store bearer tokens in cookies:  Implementations MUST NOT store
  bearer tokens within cookies that can be sent in the clear (which
  is the default transmission mode for cookies).  Implementations
  that do store bearer tokens in cookies MUST take precautions
  against cross-site request forgery.

I guess we can mitigate the situation if using cookies, with:
a) Use of TLS/SSL (anyway mandatory for bearer tokens).
b) Short Lived tokens. (minimize replay)