[security-dev] PicketLink restructure

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Thu Oct 4 13:23:54 EDT 2012

On 4 Oct 2012, at 08:59, Anil Saldhana wrote:

> On 10/03/2012 05:50 PM, Shane Bryzak wrote:

>>> PicketBox has lots of stuff. Container Security plus xacml and other
>>> things which need to be properly migrated/massaged/discarded/eased into
>>> our final offering. We don't want to make PL a bloated security offering.
>> +1, I'm dubious of the value of adding PicketBox as a module, especially
>> as it's based on the old JavaEE Principal/Subject security model which
>> we've totally moved away from now.  Perhaps some of the features such as
>> XACML could be implemented as a standalone module (if it isn't already)
>> in PicketBox and then we provide some integration code for that.  I
>> wouldn't think though that XACML is an overly popular feature anyway,
>> especially since we'll be providing Drools-based permissions in PL already.
> Actually the JavaEE principal/subject model in PicketBox is what is
> termed PicketBox Legacy in the following diagram:
> https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/SECURITY/SecurityProjectsArchitecture
> Before moving your security work from Apache Deltaspike to PicketLink,
> we were already in the works to provide security for applications in
> JavaSE environment.
> https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/SECURITY/Java+Application+Security
> These projects are all housed at:
> https://github.com/picketbox
>
> Some of them such as picketbox-cdi, picketbox-deltaspike and
> picketbox-solder need to nuked but the other projects are all valuable
> code in JavaSE environments.

I'm *definitely not* saying that PicketBox is not valuable, in fact I'm really saying it's very valuable, and that as such it should be part of our security brand "PicketLink".

As things like Fabric/JBoss Everywhere come more into the picture, then Java SE is going to become more and more important.

I think it was Lincoln who said "for PicketLink, let's start with Java SE, get a really solid core, and then go from there to Java EE".