[security-dev] Meaningful relationships

Boleslaw Dawidowicz bdawidow at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 13:43:13 EDT 2012

I like this. One of biggest mistakes I made in the original model was to define separate notion of user-group relationship.  Design where direct relationship is just another type of role (either 'member' or null) is much more elegant.

The only concern is to keep Group tree and LDAP use case in mind.

https://github.com/picketlink/picketlink/blob/master/idm/api/src/main/java/org/picketlink/idm/model/Group.java

Path id is in place to ensure name uniqueness in the tree. You can have a/b/a/b/a - which result in 3 groups with name "a" and 2 groups with name "b". Then question is if this path should be resolved on the fly from IdentityMembership (huge performance cost and implementation nightmare) or stored as an id in IdentityObject table during object creation. Second option is better however name also persists relationships between groups from the start. I have chosen first approach in PLIDM 1.x and this was my second biggest regret - mostly because of performance cost.

Bolek.