[security-dev] managing OTP

Boleslaw Dawidowicz bdawidow at redhat.com
Mon Aug 12 18:55:46 EDT 2013

Sadly we never did it fully for IDM alone - only for portal as a whole. We were also not measuring particular IDM operations - rather optimising on portal usage. Additionally we tuned a lot with 4 levels of cache altogether - hibernate, identity store, IDM API, portal API. Plus some additional workarounds for corner cases. Not really something to compare against :/

I think for web application acceptable page load time is around 2s. Then 4-5s is probably worst case scenario nowadays. For certain rare administrative tasks you can accept 10-20s. For first page load after app boot it can be a bit more as you need to populate cache. Still even for enterprise class app with huge store having 8s for first time load is a max IMO. IDM layer needs to make it achievable taking into account that web app will add a bit of it's own overhead on top. If you test with proposed large store and are safely below those numbers I think it is enough initially.

Just to give example why I suggested such number of users. IDM 1.x has single table for attributes related to any identity type. With 1M users and 20 attributes each you end up with 20M rows. Plus groups… You can then easily identify any wrong join you make.  Even just playing with simple CRUD demo app.

Few things that I recall about most important operations to check
- User creation - checking uniqueness can be costly - especially with common requirement to check unique email separately to username.
- Authentication
- Authorisation check of given user based on group/role membership
- Queries with attribute filters and pagination - typical for management console
- Queries based on role membership (plus filters and pagination) - same

Those are tricky with more complex schema but still achievable with some adjustments and SQL/HQL profiling.

Most of fun is really with LDAP and if you mix it with DB. Few things are easier to achieve in efficient manner. For example attribute filters are fast by design - not like joins. Some are not doable at all - like paginated query based on membership and filtered by attribute value.  Some LDAP servers don't support all controls useful in such scenarios. However real fun is when you have part of data in DB and part in LDAP and need to merge it. This is a dead end - you can still workaround and optimize for few scenarios but nothing more.

I wrote it few times here already - If I was implementing it again I wouldn't do identity store federation at all. If LDAP store is not enough and you need to have additional data in DB - just sync everything there. This is doable in efficient manner using LDAP changelog feature which stores information to data change the delta since last sync.

This is another suggestion from me :) Don't underestimate possible issues with LDAP store performance. You can do exactly the same as with DB. It is even simpler… I was generating huge LDAP store with really dumb bash script writing into ldif file to import. But this is another topic… and you should focus on optimising for typical MSAD windows domain schema as that is 95% of LDAP stores around :)