[security-dev] checkstyle.xml in PicketLink workspace

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 15:19:13 EST 2013

On 17/01/13 15:45, Anil Saldhana wrote:
> Hi All,
>     wondering if we can enforce checkstyle across all the modules in the
> PL workspace?  Currently just one or two modules are enforcing.
Recently Bolek applied checkstyle rules to whole GateIn portal project
with all project modules. So it's definitely possible. I don't know the
details and I think that he will have more input on this but what we
have in GateIn is:
1) Separate module called "build-config" here
https://github.com/gatein/gatein-portal/tree/master/build-config
It contains only pom.xml file with configuration and checkstyle file
https://github.com/gatein/gatein-portal/blob/master/build-config/src/main/resources/gatein-portal-checkstyle/checkstyle.xml

2) In main parent pom.xml is the configuration of checkstyle plugin in
"plugin-management" section and plugin is enabled in "plugins" section.
See https://github.com/gatein/gatein-portal/blob/master/pom.xml

3) Directory with all ide configs is available in separate directory of
GateIn project here
https://github.com/gatein/gatein-portal/tree/master/ide-configs .

4) Bolek somehow enforced reformatting of whole project to align all
Java and XML files with new rules. Not sure how he exactly did it... But
seems to be good idea to do it in Picketlink as well. From my quick
browsing I am seeing quite big incompatibilities especially between XML
files. (For example 4 spaces indentation here
https://github.com/picketlink/picketlink/blob/master/idm/impl/src/test/resources/arquillian.xml
vs. tabs usage here
https://github.com/picketlink/picketlink/blob/master/idm/impl/pom.xml .
Personally I think that using of tabs is hell. Spaces are much better
because file looks same in various editors)

Marek