[security-dev] concurrent access to IDM

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu Jun 13 12:16:56 EDT 2013

The IDM apis should be designed to support stateless access and not require any form of synchronization, volatiles, or CAS. It's fine however to have caching plugins which do keep state and are designed for concurrent access. However, those should be implemented using near-lockless strategies. I can help with that if you need it.

On Jun 13, 2013, at 8:15 AM, Shane Bryzak <sbryzak at redhat.com> wrote:

> Do you mean DefaultStoreFactory.createIdentityStore() ?  I actually
> don't think we should be caching the stores here at all, I'll create a
> JIRA to investigate this.
>
> On 13/06/13 22:27, Bill Burke wrote:
>> IdentityManagerFactory's fields are all HashMaps and you're populating
>> the store cache on the fly.  Is there any reason you don't
>> pre-initialize the store cache?
>>
>> On 6/12/2013 6:22 PM, Shane Bryzak wrote:
>>> IdentityManagerFactory is designed to be application-scoped (or even
>>> container scoped), while IdentityManager is a lightweight object that is
>>> designed to be request-scoped (as each IdentityManager has its own
>>> SecurityContext with potential references to short-lived objects, such
>>> as entity managers).  Which concurrency issues have you found?  We
>>> should raise issues in JIRA to address these before we hit final.

Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat