[security-dev] Impersonation feature (was: Quickstarts)

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Thu May 2 12:19:44 EDT 2013

+1. "RunAs" feature ...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rodney Russ" <rruss at redhat.com>
To: "Anil Arora" <anil at yieldex.com>
Cc: security-dev at lists.jboss.org
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:13:08 PM
Subject: Re: [security-dev] Impersonation feature (was: Quickstarts)

I have seen the need for a feature like this when a customer support representative needs to order on behalf on someone. In this particular case, the customer support rep could only order on behalf of the customers they were responsible for, but did not need credentials to "become" the users they were supporting.

-Rodney

To add to the list, I don't know if there's a feature for this...

But, is there a way to do impersonation of users? Essentially, one user/agent logs in and then becomes a different user without requiring the user password. We're seeing this for REST based server-to-server communication calls. I am extrapolating that I could do some sort of silentAuthentication like indicated in the doc on the TicketMonster-PicketLink example, but that piece of the code isn't visible on the product documentation page.

Thanks,
Anil