[security-dev] The PicketLink formerly known as 3.0

Shane Bryzak sbryzak at redhat.com
Tue May 14 03:57:38 EDT 2013

Hi guys,

We've recently been reviewing our plans with the product management team for EAP, amongst others. There was immediate confusion around the version numbers for PicketLink.

PicketLink Federation 2.x is included in EAP 6.x, and there was an expectation that an upgrade to PicketLink 3 would involve substantial changes to PicketLink Federation. This is not actually the case, PicketLink 3 contains only new components such as IDM and the CDI integration.

This got us thinking that in fact it might be less confusing to NOT bump the version to 3.x. We looked at the version history, and realised that PicketLink IDM 1.x was never upgraded to 2.x, so this also makes sense, and brings all the components to 2.x.

With this in mind, I'd like to propose that we release all the cool new features/modules that we've been working on lately as PicketLink 2.5.  Hopefully this isn't going to cause any major issues for anyone, but if you do have objections please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane