[security-dev] Picketlink 2.8.0

Stephen Agneta sagneta at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 10:04:55 EST 2015

I'll share what I know with you in the hopes that it will help somehow.

Well KC (keycloak) is a super-set of the PL (PicketLink) functionality thus
in theory it ought to work fine once it is ready and once some sort of
migration path is known. You may not wish to move to KC due to the
additional functionality which may be off-putting for lite applications but
KC will perform everything PL did and more and will do so in VM memory if
you so choose.

Essentially KC is a real federated authentication and authorization service
with identity management that can run standalone or in-VM within a WildFly
cluster. Although a Java implementation it works with other systems and
languages out of process. It does integrate with Spring which may interest
you.

The following link provides information for Wildfly 9 clustered
installation:
http://keycloak.github.io/docs/userguide/keycloak-server/html/server-installation.html#overlay_install

Thus you should be able to have your authorization demands met _in VM_ as
opposed to over-the-wire for performance reasons if necessary.

IMOP I think the KC project is the right move. They are fixing the big
issue which is the lack of an opensource Federated Identity Management
System. They also fixed little things such as Composite Roles which are
missing from PL.

 I merely disliked the abrupt change-over. I also can't move to keycloak
until I have more of an idea how the migration would work.
For example, how different is the default KC relational schema from the
default basic PL schema:

http://keycloak.github.io/docs/userguide/keycloak-server/html/server-installation.html#d4e136

It is also not clear if keycloak has a CDI demand system ready like
PicketLink. They only hint at it.  Also it runs in-cluster on Wildfly 9 and
I am on 8. Nothing huge but issues that will need to be addressed.

Hope that helps.