[teiid-designer-dev] 7.0 Dev Plans

John Verhaeg jverhaeg at redhat.com
Mon Feb 1 12:19:12 EST 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 3:35 PM, John Doyle wrote:

> I would like to target the DTP related work to 7.0.  Specifically, get rid of the SQL Explorer plugins and execute VDBs via DTPs perspectives.  As it is there are a a lot of unknowns in what we're taking on for 7.0, so maybe I'm trying to bite off too much.  What do you think?

I'd love to get the removal of SQL Explorer into the 7.0 timeframe.  Part of the goal of the planning we've talked about so far is to ensure we're not dependent upon any DTP work or the removal of SQL Explorer, but I'd still love to see it happen given we have the time.  My only concern is, since the critical thing about 7.0 is supporting Teiid playing in the JCA world, ensuring we finish scoping out the work that doesn't involve DTP/SQL Explorer, and adding this additional work to our schedule as time allows.

> On a related issue, the DTP code is currently in my private repos, and I was working on an Athena build for it.  I thought it would be a good idea to build it as it's own feature so that a non-Designer user of Teiid (someone building a web app on the VDB for instance) could download it without a dependence on Designer, and it could also be built into Designer.  To that end I was figuring it could live in the JBTools repos.  We can discuss this part on another thread I suppose as its a different issue.

We've all been granted commit access to the JBT SVN repository, so I think we ought to immediately be able to create an extension plug-in to DTP where we place your code.  As we've discussed in previous postings and chats, we want to also separate Designer into at least 2 features, one for the core that doesn't have any runtime capabilities (managing connections, preview, deploying and querying VDBs), and one that adds the runtime capabilities that would presumably have a dependency to DTP and the extensions your providing.

Thanks,

JPAV