[teiid-designer-dev] [teiid-dev] VDB Versioning Feature

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Tue Feb 9 13:03:30 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 14:02 -0500, John Doyle wrote:
> I think we're getting hung up on what containers do or what DRBMs do.
> What's it going to cost to keep this feature?
Based on the Container environment we are some times constrained by what
we can offer. We will try to provide solutions to overcome some
situations, but will NOT push these as features.

But as per the RDBMS concepts is concerned Teiid team will try to push
towards general/accepted functionality among other vendors.

> Is it worth it or not?
> I think it's very useful.

I hear you loud and clear, based on amount of comments it generated we
will continue offer the feature.

However, to circumvent container constraints

1) Teiid will no longer automatically deploy a VDB into a new version
every time.
2) The user is responsible to define *explicitly* the version of the VDB
needs to be deployed under using the 'configurationInfo.def' file.
3) If there is a version already deployed under the same name, that
version will be replaced.
4) In the case that user is manually deploying the VDB, by copying the
VDB file into "deploy" directory or using JOPR, they are responsible to
not to overwrite any existing file with similar name. If in case that
happens, the old VDB is un-deployed and new VDB is deployed.
5) Tooling will be modified to add the version information in the VDB
name to avoid conflicts.

Let me know if there are any concerns.

Thanks

Ramesh..