[teiid-designer-dev] [teiid-dev] VDB Versioning Feature

John Verhaeg jverhaeg at redhat.com
Wed Feb 17 12:27:33 EST 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Larry O'Leary wrote:

> Well there are two possibilities here.  One is that there is a
> roll-back.  The other is that a new version of a VDB has been chosen as
> the default but some of the organization is not ready to use the newer
> version.  In which case they would modify their clients to use the
> previous version until they are ready to use the new one.
>
> So, in the "roll-back" scenario, the change is transparent to the
> clients while in the "not-ready-to-upgrade" scenario the administrative
> change is placed on the client.  These are the two cases we have with
> legacy customers.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't believe your "new version" scenario makes practical sense.  If an organization is implementing a new version and not ready to force that change on certain applications, departments, etc., wouldn't they want just that - no change to those areas?  They're likely not going to impose the need to change a slew of existing clients to use the old VDB just to enable new clients to use the previous VDB name.  Rather, they'd want to deploy the new VDB with a new name that only the new clients use.  Then migration to the new VDB name for other clients could be easily scheduled and managed.  Seems like the alternative would be a change-control nightmare.

Thanks,

JPAV