[teiid-designer-dev] Teiid Designer 7.0 Work

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 17:59:41 EST 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 17:34 -0500, John Doyle wrote:
> Does Designer in its current implementation accomplish preview through
> admin API calls, or some other non-API magic, like writing to the
> filesystem?  If Preview is accomplished via the admin API, then it's
> just a few lines of code to get a connection to Teiid from DataTools
> and cast it to a SPECIFIC version of the Admin API that our
> (non-datatools) plugins could use.  This should apply to any admin API
> provided functionality.  Supporting different versions of Teiid in
> this scenario would require specific code for each Admin API change,
> which given our current rate of change is understandably every
> version.  I would be in favor of managing this over releases until we
> slow down, rather than trying to support multiple versions of the
> engine in a single release of designer.  Too complex and we have to
> much to do.

What makes the preview work is not the admin api, but the way we supply
the runtime metadata and the special "admin" vdb jdbc connection. When
the query requests are made on this jdbc connection, we route the
runtime metadata look-ups to a special design time store maintained by
Designer.

For preview admin api is only used to create the connectors, which we
can still use (with new XML stuff).