[teiid-designer-dev] Initial observations of 7.0 M3 Designer

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Wed Jun 30 16:53:35 EDT 2010

I took it for test drive today in creating a simple VDB, here are some
of my notes as I went through the exercise. It is so clutter free than
before, I like it. The below are not necessarily defects, my initial
view points (this is first time I am using 7.0 Designer).

- Editing of the Translator name and JNDI seemed confusing. Editing the
text vs right click. I wish, I could just use the right click. or combo
box, where I can type (design time only mode) or select (server mode)

-  Creation of the Teiid Server, did not occur to me until I read the
document. May be some default text in the box where the server
connection is created saying that create a connection to server would be
right in my face.

- Putting the data sources and translators in folder may be good idea,
not to clutter the UI.

- I was definitely looking for the "deploy" button or right click deploy
of the VDB. I have not found one. I think we need to.

- DND drop of the VDB nice (after reading the doc), but do not ask me
again that "do you want to deploy to so and so", of-course I want to.

- SQLExplorer still showed up? may be my eclipse from previous version.

- Why question marks on "Synchronized?", "Visible?" in VDB panel

- Need to have way define the version number for the VDB.

- Is there any way to decorate the VDB in Teiid panel, so that it
represents the active state? You can check and also ask the "errors"
from admin api that tells why is is not valid. I had no idea why DTP was
keep failing when I did not create the DS. Or when I deployed it could
have showed me a notification, or written to the problems log, I would
have known about the issue.

- In "vdb" profile wizard, either give me something ready to use for
defaults, or nothing. Instead of providing "host", provide "localhost"
that would be more helpful.

- The tool tip on the translator shows up as oracle :{1} looks like
something missing here

- The "Teiid" panel itself, I know what it is doing, but do not
understand the purpose of it, to be front and center of the screen,
except for "deploy". This can be on visible on demand. I do not how
"preview" is going to work, I think I would love to have seen the "Data
Source Explorer" as alternative, where "deploy" a vdb created a data
source on the server auto-magically.

- Like the DTP based importing. cool

Lots of good work, keep it up. I report any more issues as I see it.

Thanks.

Ramesh..