[teiid-designer-dev] [teiid-dev] Teiid Tools - Designer, CDK, etc.

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Tue Mar 23 17:05:12 EDT 2010

Please see inline.

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 14:58 -0500, John Verhaeg wrote:
> The Designer team has been disconnected from the whole Eclipse CDK
> plug-in effort until fairly recently (our own fault due to poor
> communication issues).
"teiid-dev" mailing list is always used for any communication on this
project. If you are just ignoring the emails that is not poor
communication.

> Now that I'm aware of the effort, I think we need to make some
> changes.  At a minimum, the CDK efforts needs to be pulled into the
> radar of the other Eclipse tooling efforts (JBT and possible JBDS).
IMO, just because this is tooling means we need lump any/all Teiid
tooling into single project. Connector developers kit is a new effort,
this has nothing do with what Designer does. Yes, this does need to be
under the umbrella of Teiid or Teiid tools and it is.

> Since this is an Eclipse tool, it "belongs with" all of our other
> Eclipse tools in JBT regarding building, testing, packaging, and
> delivery.
Yes. Once this makes into JBT. We are not there yet. Once we request to
be included in JBT then we will do any necessary work.

> Even from a community standpoint, having this project hosted via
> SourceForge somewhat hides it from that community,
I dis-agree. Fedora is pulled from hundreds of places. Also, I have
mentioned in my emails that this is temporary place holder to get the
basic framework worked out. This will be pulled into main line Teiid
under different "folder" or into a separate svn location. Based on the
facts at the time we felt using source forge was the best option to
manage.

> not to mention the JBT developers concerned with delivering a suite of
> tools that need to adhere to a number of guidelines to achieve a
> necessary level of quality and consistency.  Then there's also the
> consideration of what level of integration we may want with other
> tools without our suite.
All I can say is Teiid community needs to seek out to JBT community if
this needs to be part of JBT. As part of that integration we have do
that work. I see this as parallel to the Designer tooling rather than
part of it.

> Finally, we've also envisioned other possible tools for Teiid that
> would not fall under the umbrella of either Designer or CDK.

Please share.

> Therefore, I propose that we change several of our Designer components
> to be more generically "Teiid Tools" components.  We'd want the
> following:
>

>       * A new URL at www.jboss.org/teiidtools.html

Originally Teiid team proposed that, http://teiid.org be the main
umbrella site and others spawn from it. That is still a viable option if
we are willing to put in the work.

>       * Either a new JIRA project (something like TEIIDCDK) or
>         changing the existing TEIIDDES project to something like
>         TEIIDTOOLS
>       * As with the JIRA change just described, a similar change to
>         the mailing lists

Yes, once we have a somewhat working plugin, we do need this.

>       * A new home for the CDK code, either in its own project that
>         gets pulled into the JBT build/testing/packaging framework, or
>         within the JBT SVN.
See above.

>       * A new Teiid Tools project page that incorporates
>         documentation, downloads, etc., for Designer, CDK, and
>         whatever other Teiid-related tools we invent.

>       * Sanjay to be made a committer on the appropriate SVN.
agree. We had issues with timing with jboss.org environment few months
ago.

>       * A discussion with the JBT team concerning the CDK, when to
>         include it in a JBT/JBDS release, etc.
Absolutely. IMO, We need to release this in tech preview first. Then we
can talk about integration into JBT/JBDS.

Thanks.

Ramesh..