[teiid-designer-dev] Potential Designer Source Bindings Strategy

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Fri Mar 26 23:31:09 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 15:12 -0400, Daniel Florian wrote:
> - Don't really see how you can create the preview VDB right after
> creating the model. How do you know what Teiid server the connector
> will come from? Seems like this will have to wait until the connector
> is chosen/created. Unless you are assuming there is one and only one
> Teiid server used to preview. Also would assume then that if the user
> has not designated any servers then preview would be disabled.
>
> - Don't understand why one and only one Teiid server has to be picked
> for preview. Why can't you preview a model on a Teiid server running
> say Teiid version N. And also preview the same model using a different
> source binding to a different Teiid server that is running version N
> +1. Not sure how if this is a valuable use case or if there are any
> valuable use cases but it doesn't make sense to me to limit them to
> only one.

I think I said this before, having preview working with multiple servers
IMO useless. Designer should work with single Teiid for preview. DTP is
different case, there you could work with multiple Teiid servers.

Also, I think in case when you are not creating the binding
automatically at the end of the import, you should start the create
connector binding wizard. So, there will never be the case model is
created but the binding is not. Obviously, this model breaks down when
the Teiid is offline. However, the binding needs to be created before
the model makes over to the Teiid

> - Doesn't seem like we currently can get workspace indexes for just
> one model or for a set of selected models. This will be new
> functionality right?

The model based indexes were being created currently. Type based indexes
are created when VDB is created.

> - Don't think Teiid would care about the VDB name (correct me if I'm
> wrong). We should come up with the names and pass in via API. And
> since we'll have a programmatic way of creating the names we wouldn't
> need to keep a mapping.
Teiid does not care about name.