[teiid-dev] Oracle Spatial Connector

Larry O'Leary loleary at redhat.com
Mon Aug 10 15:12:45 EDT 2009

I propose that the Oracle Spatial Connector be dropped and its
functionality/capabilities be merged with the Oracle Connector.

If we were to combine the two, I would recommend that we keep the
function definitions separate from our built-in/system functions and
offer the Oracle Spatial function definitions to the end-user so they
can add them to their Designer and Teiid installation as appropriate.

The advantage of combining the two connectors is that currently the
Spatial connector is inheriting everything from the Oracle connector
which means that when something changes in the Oracle connector, we may
need to perform impact analysis and modify test cases to cover the
Spatial version of the connector.  Also, it does not make much sense to
me that we have two separate connectors seeing that Oracle Spatial
functions are provided by Oracle 9i and beyond and do not appear to be
extra features of Oracle.

If anyone is in disagreement or can think of reasons why the connectors
should be left apart, please speak up as this is uncharted territory for
me.

--
Larry O'Leary <loleary at redhat.com>
Red Hat, Inc.