[teiid-users] Change in nomenclature of "Connector Binding" to "Connection Factory"

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Mon Apr 5 11:44:53 EDT 2010

With the JCA changes several users complained about the nomenclature
that is still in use in Teiid about Connector Bindings. A Connector
Binding in Teiid is a connection pool/factory to source systems that
contain the data that are integrated using Teiid.

In the Container environment the components that provide the connections
to the sources are called "Connection Factory". If the connection is to
a RDBMS they are called "Data Sources".

With JCA changes, Connectors are now JCA connectors. To keep up with
same lingo as Containers, we are proposing that we change the
nomenclature of Teiid's "Connector Binding" to "Connection Factory".

All the external APIs, documents and web pages will be modified for
accommodate this change. Although, APIs will be modified immediately for
7.0 release the documents and web will be modified as time allows for
7.0 release. I logged https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/TEIID-1032

Here are some comparisons
	6.2		|	7.0

Connector Type 	       | RAR File (JCA Connector)
Connector Binding     | Connection Factory

One difference from previous versions of Teiid is, if the Connector
binding was to a RDBMS, a single Connector binding represented the
connection between the source system (ex:oracle) and Teiid translation
layer. In 7.0, the translation layer and source connection are
independent. The translation layer is now called "Connection Factory"
and source connection to RDBMS is called "Data Source", and Connection
Factory will have reference to the Data Source for making the data
request calls. I will be writing blog soon on this topic if you are
interested.

Comments?

Thanks

Ramesh..