[teiid-users] [teiid-dev] Alternative scripting envrionment for AdminShell

Larry O'Leary loleary at redhat.com
Mon Apr 12 19:03:25 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 17:22 -0400, Steven Hawkins wrote:
> Eliminating C. is the difference between offering a scripting language with hooks vs. a "query tool".  That's probably worth exploring more.  I would say that there are 3 distinctly different tools we were trying to satisfy with AdminShell:
>
> T1. an interactive/scriptable administrative console
> T2. an interactive/scriptable query tool
> T3. an scriptable test tool for both 1 and 2.
>
> Arguably we were the only ones interested in T3, and as mentioned in the last email that functionality can be ported over quite easily regardless.
> For T1 the difference between the Groovy solution and the BeanShell solution is minimal (function syntax is the same, java can be imported and called in the same ways, etc.) and the Groovy solution can be changed to be contextual as well - although it is worth noting that our context is more complicated than before since your admin and sql connections are separate, which is not yet reflected in the old adminshell prompt.  So to perform admin logic you don't need to be any more of a Java developer than you did with the BeanShell based tooling.
>
> For me the only real difference comes down to T2.  From a technical perspective, the manner in which we extend the host grammar to support T2 is brittle and has limitations such as multiline handling or leading comments, etc. that are not handled by our hook.  Even with those limitations I understand that it does serve as a reasonable approximation to something like SQL*Plus.  I question whether we need to support specialized tooling for this purpose (over just using what's available in Groovy).  We could just as well promote the use of http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlshell/ or the older http://henplus.sourceforge.net/.

The original intention of the AdminShell was to give an administrator a
simple means of checking state/services within a server.  It was a
replacement and great improvement to the old svcmgr.  The idea was that
a user could execute the shell in interactive mode or non-interactive
mode and execute state and admin commands against the server.

Honestly, I am not sure where the SQL / query-execution came into play.
Seems like AdminShell was a bad place for this in the first place.  This
should have lived in QueryShell or JDBCiSQL... oh wait!

So, as for the SQL / query-execution we should basically forget about
it.  If a user wants to execute SQL, then they can write a Java
application to do so... or better yet, use one of the many
third-party/OSS solutions that allow a person to execute a query against
a JDBC data-source... I wonder if Eclipse has such a tool.

As for the AdminShell's administrative functions, as long as we provide
an out-of-the-box list of pre-defined or wrapped API commands to do
common tasks, it will suffice.  From looking at your example, it appears
that nothing has really changed but I would like to see it simplified
further:

connect(user, passwd)
exportConnectionFactory("TPCR_S2k", "test.xml")

Basically, adminConn would implicitly contain the reference to the
connection if one was not given.  For example:

myConn = connect(user, passwd)
exportConnectionFactory("TPCR_S2k", "test.xml")

Would result in an error because adminConn is still NULL.

However,
myConn = connect(user, passwd)
myConn.exportConnectionFactory("TPCR_S2k", "test.xml")

Would work just fine.

Larry O'Leary
Middleware Support Engineering Group
Global Support Services
Red Hat, Inc.
loleary at redhat.com
1.866.LINUX70 (+1.314.336.2990) xt 81-62909
Office: +1.314.336.2909
Mobile: +1.618.420.7623