[teiid-users] [teiid-dev] Alternative scripting envrionment for AdminShell

Larry O'Leary loleary at redhat.com
Tue Apr 13 18:14:55 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 16:44 -0400, Steven Hawkins wrote:
> It doesn't seem like we have yet reached a consensus, but it does seem like:
> 1. people do like having a SQL oriented interactive command line tool.
> 2. most see the SQL functionality as separable from the admin/test.
>
> Agreed?

Yes.

> I'd also like to relay a local discussion with Ramesh.  His basic
> premise was that if we decouple the admin/test aspects and promote an
> alternative command line SQL tool, then we should just forgo offering
> any built-in environment for administrative scripting.  In this case
> the approach would be to just document which class/classes could be
> imported (as shown in the previous Groovy example with the static
> import of AdminShell methods) into your java scripting language of
> choice.

Not sure about this.  Although I agree that we want to make the Admin
API easier to maintain, the entire reason for exposing it was so that
non-development users could use it.  Originally this was to be
accomplished via a SQL extension (provided by the Admin VDB).  A user
wants to find out what the state of a connector is or what the state of
a VDB is by simply executing a query.  The concept of the Admin Shell
provided this.  A user needs the ability to write simple commands (no
need for reading an API or JavaDoc) to accomplish simple tasks regarding
administration.

--- pseudo ---
Connect To MMServerA
Get Status of Connector ConnectorA
Get Status of Connector ConnectorB
Disconnect
If Either ConnectorA or ConnectorB Status is Unavailable, Exit With
Error Code 2
Exit With No Error Code
--- pseudo ---

So, even though we may have falling short in this within Admin Shell,
the concept was still there and an Admin Shell script could be easily
integrated with a user shell script (bash, cmd, etc).  By utilizing the
Admin API, it also allowed this type of scripting to be done remotely
allowing for a single script/instance to monitor or perform operations
on many server instances.

I am not so sure it is an issue of the "shell" being present as it is
that a simple set of functions be provided that wrap the more complex
operations offered through the API.

Although, now that we will be living in the container, I am sure that we
can expose these simple functions/operations through other methods.  For
example, in the MBean world, I can invoke operations using Twiddle.  So,
if these common administrative and monitoring tasks can be exposed via a
remote operation, then maybe the container could provide the missing
functionality.

Larry O'Leary
Middleware Support Engineering Group
Global Support Services
Red Hat, Inc.
loleary at redhat.com
1.866.LINUX70 (+1.314.336.2990) xt 81-62909
Office: +1.314.336.2909
Mobile: +1.618.420.7623
--
Looking to carve out IT costs?