[teiid-users] Teiid host resolution change after the M3

Ken Johnson kejohnso at redhat.com
Mon Apr 19 10:24:14 EDT 2010

Ramesh Reddy wrote:
> Teiid uses host name resolution to figure out the bind address where it
> can open a socket to listen for the incoming JDBC and Admin connections.
> The host name resolution in Teiid has changed. See
> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/TEIID-1047
>
> Previously, if user did not specify any bind address, Teiid by default
> used to resolve "localhost" to WAN or LAN address and tried to
> explicitly avoid the loopback (127.0.0.1) address.
>
> The new host resolution logic does not impose any preferences, it
> defaults to JDK class "InetAddress" behavior. This mimics the JBoss AS
> behavior.
>
> In most cases on individual's desktops/development stations this will
> resolve to 127.0.0.1. However, if the JBoss AS is started with "-b
> <host-name or ip>,  then Teiid will also pick up this host name or IP
> and bind to that address.
>
> So, if you are installing Teiid on a different machine than the local,
> then please start it will correct bind address/host name, such that your
> remote JDBC client can connect to the server. Otherwise you will see
> "connection refused" exceptions upon connect.

So by default, the server will not be able to accept remote JDBC
connections?  I see the security benefits of this behavior but also
end-user inconvenience.  Does the hostname or IP specified with -b have
to match *exactly* with the hostname string in the JDBC URL used by
client applications?  Or will it work as long as it resolves down to the
same IP address (I assume the latter but just checking)?

Also, how will this impact Teiid firewall configuration and dynamic IP
environments like Amazon EC2 where internal and external addresses differ?

Thx,
-Ken