[teiid-users] additional reserved words for Teiid 7.0

Steven Hawkins shawkins at redhat.com
Sun Feb 28 23:19:34 EST 2010

Hello all,

I would like to propose adding additional reserved words.  Some of which would be used immediately others would be place holders for future features and would help prevent users from using identifier names that will conflict.  There is the potential for breaking existing vdbs though that use any of these words as an unqualified identifier.

This includes:

bigint - type alias for long
decimal - type alias for bigdecimal
real - type alias for real
smallint - type alias for short
tinyint - type alias for byte
varchar - type alias for string

call - to be used as a standard alternative to exec/execute a stored procedure

extract function (to be added) targets:

day
hour
minute
month
second
timezone_hour
timezone_minute
year

Other possible reserved words could include all of http://savage.net.au/SQL/sql-2003-2.bnf.html#reserved%20word.  One minor issue is that the reserved word input conflicts with our "input" variable group used in update procedures.  Since it wouldn't be used as a table reference, it would break existing vdbs, but the generated output strings for parsed commands would include input in double quotes.

Any thoughts?