[teiid-users] Question on Applet accessing vdb deployed in JBoss AS

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Tue Jun 8 17:04:29 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 21:08 +0000, Hong Yi wrote:
> I defined the "Teiid embedded" vdb as a data source in JBoss AS, but
> the Applet has to communicate with this teiid data source via the
> defined JNDI name, right?
No.

I completely understand what you are asking. Read my earlier reply
again, you will find your answer.

applet != JSP

applet --> lives in user's browser VM
JSP --> gets converted to java code in on your server, only "html"
content is sent to the browser

so, this difference is single VM in the JSP case vs two separate VM's in
the applet case, thus JNDI context is not available in the applet's
context.

Even though Teiid is deployed inside JBoss AS, you can reach it two
different ways

1) Creating "-ds.xml" (creating a data source) and using the JNDI name
in your servlets/JSP pages. Here "embedded" means not going over the
socket, as Teiid runtime is available locally to the VM.

2) Making a direct JDBC connection. This uses a socket connection from
your application to the Teiid runtime. Just like if you have made
connection to Oracle.

I am suggesting to use #2, in your applet.

Hope this helps.

Ramesh..