[teiid-users] Question on Applet accessing vdb deployed in JBoss AS

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Wed Jun 9 11:22:31 EDT 2010

Sure, I will help, however you need to write up your use case in blog or
something and tell us how Teiid helped with your data integration needs
-;) of course, after it is working..

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 15:34 +0000, Hong Yi wrote:
> You confirmed earlier that to have an Applet to query a teiid vdb via
> JDBC, JBoss Application Server is a must-to-have. I am not clear on
> the relationship between teiid server and JBoss AS.
The relationship depends upon which version of Teiid you are using. If
you are using 6.2, then Teiid Server is the only thing you need.

If you are using 7.0 M3, then Teiid is installed inside the JBoss AS
5.1.0. JBoss AS serves as host environment to Teiid in providing various
functions. See the http://teiid.blogspot.com there are few articles on
this ( Why Teiid needs JCA Container?). If you are not using this
version, wait until next milestone as there are few major changes from
M3.

>  Do I need to start both servers to make an Applet query a teiid vdb
> deployed in teiid server which is also embedded in JBoss AS?
see above

>  From the instruction link you sent earlier, it seems server name and
> port parameters for JDBC connection point to the teiid server (i.e.,
> host name or localhost and port 31000).
In 6.2, they are for the Teiid Server. In 7.0 the "hostname" is same as
the JBoss AS, but the port number for Teiid is different. For Teiid it
is 31000.

> Although JSP works without starting teiid server (i.e., only JBoss AS
> is started), it seems I always have to start teiid server on port
> 31000 to make Java Applet JDBC code "work".
I have no idea how you deployed the Teiid. In 6.2, we supported a
"embedded" mode that can be used with JBoss AS. This does not require
starting a additional Teiid server. However, the port is not opened by
default. You need to change the configuration in the "deploy.properties"
and add a property "sockets.enabled=true" that will open up the socket
based communication.

If you do not need the JBoss AS for any other stuff, you could just use
the Teiid Server. Remember I am talking about Teiid 6.2 here.

> Could you clarify a bit on what role does JBoss AS play in terms of
> having Applet connect via JDBC to teiid vdb deployed in teiid server
> which is embedded in JBoss AS?
nothing

> Also, I have to use teiid server hostname and port to make JDBC
> connections (rather than JBoss AS hostname and port), right?
Yes
>  Also let me know any suggestions/insight on Java Applet exception on
> DH KeyPairGenerator not available. I am currently searching on the
> internet hoping for some quick fix, but no luck yet.

In your Teiid "deploy" directory, if there is a "teiid.keystore"
property, delete it. Also, which JVM you are using? We tested with SUN's
1.6, try to use that if possible. In 7.0 we are trying to cover other
JVMs and will not have this issue. This seems like the JVM you using
does not support encryption scheme we are using. You can also try
setting "client.encryption.enabled=false" in the "deploy.properties".
This will disable some of these, but no secure channel while password is
being sent from client to the server.

Hope this helps.

Ramesh..