[tohu-users] Help needed -- Is Tohu appropriate for my app scenario? (2nd try)

Martin Meyers Martin.Meyers at web.de
Thu Aug 12 06:23:15 EDT 2010

Dear Tohu community members:

Really no suggestions here?!?

I'd need and very much appreciate any clarifications of the mentioned
issues.

Again, thank you very much
   Martin

=== Original Email ===========

Dear Tohu community members:

Doing a research on *questionaires with (rule-based) dynamic behaviors*
I was led to Tohu.
Now, after having viewed the introductory videos and overflown the core
aspects in the docu, I'm still wondering if Tohu is right for solving
project requirement. So, I'd need some help & suggestions from more
experienced Tohu users/developpers.

The project is a JEE 5/6 app using JPA(2) at the backend and JSF(2) or
GWT2 at the frontend, basically presenting *Interactive/Smart/...
Purchase Order Forms* which involve declarative/dynamic client-side
prestentation logic and declarative/dynamic server-side processing
logic, both defined a priori by "admin users".

To be more precise, imagine we've the following minimalistic scenario:
/Customers of diff. types (e.g. {BRONZE, SILVER, GOLD}) are presented a
customer-type specific catalog composed of atomic products and product
bundles for ordering purposes. A product has diverse prices depending on
pricing parameters like customerType, quantity, ordering period
(timespan valid for a price), stock levels, etc. A product bundle is
comprised of N products and has the same diverse prices depending on the
same pricing parameters, but probably granting some bundle discounts
when summing them up.
/
So, I'd derive a domain model like this (please correct me if there's a
better way):

/  'Customer' (id, name, ..., orders, customerType),
   'CustomerType' being admin-specified categorization like { BRONZE,
SILVER, GOLD }

   'Order' (id, date, customer, lineItems, ..., total) and
   'LineItem' (id, productRef, quantity, lineTotal)

   'Product' (id, name, descr, category, [stdPrice], pricingRef) and
   'ProductBundle' (id, name, descr, category, products, [stdPrice],
pricingRef)

   'Pricing' (id, productRef, pricingParams, price)
   'PricingParam' <= 'customerType' and/or 'orderingPeriod' and/or
                     'stockLevel' (and/or 'orderedWith'(???)).
   'PriceCatalog' (id, listOfPricings).

   [There also could be 'Price', 'Currency', 'Money', 'Discount', ... if
needed]. /

Not quite sure how to model the bundle-pricing strategies! ...but I
think the example should be obvious, and btw. surely not unusual. I
think that such an app is very well suited for being implemented as a
*rules-based solution*, isn't it?

   1. Is Tohu appropriate for implementing this scenario?

   2. If so, how could I realize this scenario with Tohu??? I.e.,
      2.a   Which app artifacts are necessary and what are their
      contents? (pls, see also 2.b)
      2.b   Could you please outline the app design and provide some
      code snippets, or
               at least point me to a comparable ecommerce example (so
      that I can start as
               soon as possible with the actual more complex biz logic)???

   3. Would it be hard to turn the result (fixed/static impl) into a
      dynamic solution, i.e. one with an "admin ui" for specifying the
      required artifacts declaratively via forms or in a graphical manner???

   4. If not answered yet: Is GWT2 supported as frontend technology?

Please, I'd really need these issues clarified for being able to take
further decisions.
I'd also appreciate any additional hints or suggestions and thank you a
million for your support in advance.

Best regards,
   Martin