[undertow-dev] Undertow development mode

Max Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Wed Jul 31 08:12:12 EDT 2013

First off Stuart - can I give you a hug ? This is awesome!

How is this flag set ? it should be do able via a startup flag and not require to invoke some management operation after the startup to be really useful.
i.e. --dev command line flag.

>In Wildfly upstream I am introducing a 'development mode' flag (it is actually in Alpha3 as well, but I am going to change how it is represented in the model).
>Basically the idea with this is that when this flag is set the server behaves in a way that is much more developer friendly, but is not suitable for production use. So far the changes are:
>
>- Set JSP development mode

Great - so this means Wildfly will recompile .jsp files when changed, correct ? Anything else ?

>- Display stack traces in error pages. We do not do this by default for security reasons.

Cool.

>- Disable caching so file changes are picked up straight away

Okey - haven't really noticed caching happening in the past though (except when VFS was put in front of seam ear's in AS5 days).

>- Optionally persist session information across redeployments (still needs a little bit of work), which should prevent a developer from having to re-log in every time they redeploy.

AWESOME x infinity!

>I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for other features we could add to make development easier?

JSF/facelets have a development mode too if I recall? maybe that makes sense too ?

/max