[undertow-dev] Predicate Handlers

Anil Saldhana asaldhan at redhat.com
Mon May 13 19:28:03 EDT 2013

You definitely need the predicates. Thinking along First Order logic, I am wondering if this is just an use case for rules definition and processing - something drools has been doing for years.

Maybe all you need is Drools core lite (or whatever you want to call the core rules processing framework) and one DRL external config file.

On May 13, 2013, at 5:41 PM, Stuart Douglas <sdouglas at redhat.com> wrote:

> I think you may have missed the point.
>
> Undertow uses handers, which are conceptually similar to valves, and you
> can still provide a custom handler to run any custom code you want.
>
> The idea of predicates is that often you will only want a handler to be
> applied in a certain situation. So with the case of the compression
> handler there may a number of things that may determine if a request is
> compressible or not, including:
> - content-type
> - size
> - request path
> - cache control headers etc
> - accept-encoding (although this has to be handled by the compression
> handler to make sure the correct encoding is selected)
>
> Without something like predicates we have to figure out what all these
> criteria are and code them into our handler, and then provide so means
> of configuring them. With predicates the compression handler just
> worries about compression, and the predicate handler deal with if the
> request is compressible or not.
>
> Also it is possible to provide custom predicates, so with this approach
> you can use custom code to decide if an existing handler should be run
> without having to modify or extend the handler.
>
> Stuart
>

> Bill Burke wrote:
>> IMO, you'd be better off providing a Valve architecture instead of
>> maintaining an expression language.  I think you'll often hit a scenario
>> where the expression language isn't adequate enough and a user will need
>> to write code anyways.  Plus a config-file expression language can't be
>> compiler checked.
>>
>> On 5/12/2013 8:17 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>>> A fairly common requirement for web requests is to enable or disable a
>>> certain action based on the state of the request. e.g:
>>> - disable compression if the response>  10Mb
>>> - If the user agent is X add header Y
>>> - If the path starts with /private disable caching
>>> etc
>>>
>>> To enable us to acomplish this Undertow has the concept of
>>> predicates[1], which as you would expect are a function object that
>>> takes the exchange as an argument and returns a boolean value.
>>>
>>> We also provide boolean operator predicates (and, or, not) that allow
>>> you to combine these predicates into arbitrarily complex values. The
>>> idea is that if a user want to configure a conditional action on the
>>> request they will use these predicates to specify the condition.
>>>
>>> To that end we need some way of representing them in the Wildfly
>>> configuration file, and so I have hacked up a basic syntax to configure
>>> them, and I would like some feedback. The configuration syntax will
>>> written directly into the standalone.xm and jboss-web.xmll to
>>> conditionally enable handlers.
>>>
>>> A basic example looks like:
>>>
>>> path["/MyPath"] or (method[value="POST"] and not
>>> requestHeadersPresent[value={Content-Type, "Content-Encoding"},