[undertow-dev] Caching Proxy / Proxy Extensions

Ronny Karallus ronny.karallus at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 05:30:31 EDT 2014

Hi Undertow Team,

I just took a quick glimpse into Undertow, to be honest, as I was just
evaluating it for a project. I planed to use it as a standalone reverse
proxy including caching and SSI as an alternative to apache.

However, as far as I saw this is not yet a feature set available in
Undertow. Anyway, I am not worried to get my hands dirty and add a bit of
code myself, so I looked a bit closer onto the proxy example and the
underlying classes.

As far as I saw it should be possible to add a CacheHandler in front of the
ProxyHandler that just uses the proxy handler in case of a miss. However, I
did not find a good way to hook into the Proxy Handler (it's also final :(
) to extend its functionality to store the response in the cache.

Is there any way to do this? I'd love to have a hook on each processor that
enables the developer to add response processors. There I could add the
cache storage and also the SSI processing. Is something like this planed or
already available and just overlooked by me?

Appreciate your time

Best Regards