[undertow-dev] "unauthenticatedIndentity" in Undertow

arjan tijms arjan.tijms at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 08:33:35 EDT 2014

Hi,

Although it's not directly what you asked, one thing which you may want to
take into account is that in the web layer (via HttpServletRequest) the
user/caller principal corresponding to the unauthenticated identity is
always null. When using the EJBContext that same user/caller principal is
something container specific (although contrary to the web layer never
null).

EJB is underspecified here (just as the run-as principal). Likewise, the
way in which a security context established in the web layer propagates to
EJB is not clear either. There's a vague paragraph about a security domain
that should be consulted, which JBoss takes very literally (for secured
beans it attempts to re-authenticate instead of propagating the established
context), for non-secured beans it doesn't do this.

Finally there are a couple of implementation differences between JBoss'
native login modules and the Java EE standard JASPIC ones. For JASPIC you
would call HttpServletRequest.authenticate() and the "login module" (SAM)
would pass a null to the CallerPrincipalCallback in order to establish the
unauthenticated identity.

Hope this somehow helps.