[undertow-dev] LoadBalancingProxyClient extensions

Stuart Douglas sdouglas at redhat.com
Sun Jul 27 19:40:12 EDT 2014

ralf_boogie_blues at bluewin.ch wrote:
> Hi Undertow Developers
>
> I am playing a little bit with the LoadBalancingProxyClient feature in
> Undertow. I am looking for a solution that replaces my implementation of
> a load balancer, which is based on Apache HttpClient.
>
> The LoadBalancingProxyClient fulfills almost the functionality I need.
> Do you have a plan for these two features?
>
>  1. To make tho host selection configurable. Currently, it is a static
>     round robin strategy. I think this is a simple task and I was able
>     to change the code so that this host selection is configurable.

For now you can override the selectHost() method. Its not a great
solution though. Can you file a JIRA to make this pluggable?

>  2. The second feature is much more difficult for me to solve. I need a
>     failover to the next host also in case the backend server responds
>     with say a status code 503. The backend servers are based on the
>     clustered HA singleton pattern, meaning, there is one backend server
>     which is the master node. The other backend servers are up but
>     shouldn't get http request. If the inactive servers get a call, then
>     they will respond with 503.

Can you file a JIRA about this as well?

At the moment our focus with the proxy is getting mod_cluster support up
and working, however both these things should be relatively easy to
implement.

Stuart