[undertow-dev] War deployment to undertow

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 14:03:01 EST 2015

Hello Dharmesh,

At this point in time Undertow standalone just supports programatic deployments. For full war deployment, we recommend using the WildFly project (wildfly.org), which bundles Undertow along with other Java EE frameworks like Hibernate. If disk footprint is a concern, you can actually remove subsystems and modules as you please. WildFly 9 will also ship with a servlet-only distribution (called web, not to be confused with the EE web profile).

Hope this helps!

> On Feb 2, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Dharmesh Data <dharmeshdata at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> I recently found some articles which shows undertow has excellent performance especially because of asynchronous non-blocking io. So I am trying to do a PoC to see if it fits our needs.
>
> I tried to deploy our war file with embedded undertow. Below is the sample code, warpath is the absolute path for war file.
>
> Server starts up but doesn’t do anything. It works fine if I put undertow inside the war and explicitly adds servlets and filters to undertow, but we are interested in keeping war independent of any container libraries.
>
> Our application Servlet Context Listener would add servlets and filters. Application will create a war and we are trying to deploy that war to undertow. Is it possible to do that? Can you please show how to do it? Any help is deeply appreciated.
>

>               DeploymentInfo servletBuilder = Servlets.deployment()
>
>                       .setClassLoader(Startup.class.getClassLoader())
>
>                       .setContextPath("/")
>
>                       .setDeploymentName(warPath);
>

>               DeploymentManager manager = Servlets.defaultContainer().addDeployment(servletBuilder);
>
>               manager.deploy();
>

>               Undertow server = Undertow.builder()
>
>                       .addHttpListener(8080, "localhost")
>
>                       .setHandler(manager.start()).build();