[undertow-dev] Proxy Protocol/Layer-4 load balancing/AWS ELB

Christopher Smith cbsmith at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 23:23:22 EST 2015

I was curious if anyone had set up undertow to work with a layer-4 proxy
server with undertow. I'm looking at using undertow behind an AWS ELB, but
it's layer-7 load balancing logic kills any shot I have of taking advantage
of undertow's awesome HTTP/2 & SPDY support.

ELB supports layer-4 load balancing, which would just multiplex inbound TCP
connections (with an added bonus of offloading TLS), but I'm concerned
about losing client IP addresses. ELB actually has a way to address this
with HAProxy's PROXY protocol:
http://www.haproxy.org/download/1.6/doc/proxy-protocol.txt

However, I haven't found a place for setting up the PROXY protocol support
in undertow. Has anyone done this? Is there a way I should be going about
it?

It feels like I'd just need to wrapper the existing Listener implementation
with some kind of delegate that first parsed the PROXY header, extracted
the client address/port/protocol/etc., and then passed on the rest of the
logic to the HTTP2 handler. Is that about right?

--
Chris