[undertow-dev] Improving Undertow performance

Stuart Douglas sdouglas at redhat.com
Thu Apr 7 20:05:37 EDT 2016

Something else to keep in mind is that you can't really compare
Undertow to rapidoid directly. The rapidoid benchmark is operating at
a much lower level than Undertow does (if you look at the code you
will see that they are basically manually writing headers and content
to the output buffer). This is great for writing really fast
benchmarks, but sucks in the real world.

Just on the output side Undertow has to do a lot more work, just off
the top of my head:

- Creating a data structure to hold the headers (when you are handling
millions of req/sec every allocation has a measurable cost)
- Iterating the above data structure to build a response
- Handling all the special case that go with the above, such as when
the headers are two big to fit in one buffer

All this is highly optimized, but it is obviously slower than simply
not having to do it.

Stuart