[undertow-dev] How to handle exceptions thrown from worker threads

Wolinsky, Jared jared.wolinsky at mlb.com
Tue Jun 14 12:01:32 EDT 2016

Good morning,

We're using Undertow in a new web service at MLB, and I haven't been able to find a solution for handling errors that occur in requests that have been dispatched to worker threads.  Here is a link to my SO question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37753726/how-to-handle-exceptions-thrown-from-undertow-worker-threads.  Ignoring worker threads, my model for error handling is to have an outer handler that maintains a map of exception type -> {log level, http status code}.  Then I allow exceptions to propagate out from the actual API handlers, hitting the error handler which logs the error and responds to the client with the correct status code based on the exception type.  When exceptions are thrown from worker threads, however, they break out of the normal handler chain and never hit the error handler, resulting in a 500 response every time.  Here are options I've considered for handling this problem:

  1.  Inside my error handler, set a DefaultResponseListener (https://http2.undertow.io/documentation/core/error-handling.html) on the exchange that contains my error handling logic.  I hit a wall here after realizing the listener only has access to the Exchange, not to the exception that will be thrown.
  2.  Set an UncaughtExceptionHandler on each handler that's on a worker thread.  This code would be added to my base handler class, do a !exchange.isInIoThread() check, set the error handler, then call the handleRequest method.  The caveat here is that I can only do this for handlers that I have control over, not built-in handlers that dispatch to worker threads such as the AuthenticationCallHandler.
  3.  Use an AspectJ-based approach where I create an @Around advice that executes for all of my handlers that will wrap the execution in a try-catch, and take care of the error handling.

Are there best practices for handling this?

Thanks,

Jared Wolinsky

Senior Software Engineer, MLB Advanced Media