[undertow-dev] Loss of perfomance between 1.3.0.Beta9 and 1.3.18.Final

Stuart Douglas sdouglas at redhat.com
Wed Mar 9 20:49:31 EST 2016

TLDR: Looks like there is a problem in XNIO accept handling, I have submitted a PR, after my PR it should be considerably faster than Beta9 (at least on my machine). This problem only affects non-persistent connections.

I have looked into this a bit more, I have done some testing on my linux machine (4 core CentOS).

Running the benchmark as described with the NO_REQUEST_TIMEOUT set to -1 I get:

Beta9:          23031
1.3.18.Final:   22578

However adding -k to the ab command to use persistent connections gives a different result:

Beta9:        169100
1.3.18.Final  173462

This implies that the issue is only with non persistent connections. Something that did change between Beta9 and 1.3.18.Final is XNIO connection handling, which has been changed to use a dedicated accept thread. Looking into this I have noticed a potential problem that is causing contention. I have submitted a fix at https://github.com/xnio/xnio/pull/94.

Something else to note is that ab was 100% maxed out on a CPU core when running these tests. In general ab is not a great load driver as it is single threaded.

The results get much more interesting if you modify the bench.sh slightly by adding an '&' to the end of the ab line and removing the 'sleep 5' call. This makes all 5 ab instances run at once, which is enough to max out the CPU on my machine (I also multiplied the number of requests by 5, the current number is a bit low).

Using this approach I get the following results (3.3.6.Final-SNAPSHOT includes the PR I linked above):

Non persistent connections:

Beta9:                                    8,810
1.3.18.Final:                             6,578
1.3.18.Final + XNIO 3.3.6.Final-SNAPSHOT: 10,285

When under heavy load the accept thread approach performs much better than the old approach (which was what we saw in Specj), however the XNIO bug was causing problems.

Jim, because you saw a much greater performance loss that I did would you be able to re-run some of these tests with my XNIO changes and verify that this also fixes the issue for you (ideally using multiple ab instances to really load the machine)? If there are still problems I would like to know what sort of hardware you are seeing this on.

Stuart