[undertow-dev] Best practice for receiving/writing HTTP body by chunks

Eldad Rudich eldadru at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 05:31:00 EDT 2017

Hi,

I'm implementing custom HTTP reverse proxy using Undertow.
My server is listening to requests and when a new request arrives, It wraps
the request in a proprietary protocol and redirect to another component in
my system.
That component takes the request data, unpack it, send it to the actual web
server, get's the response and send the response back to my Undertow server
in the same proprietary protocol.
The server unpacks the response and writes it back to the user's browser.

All works very well for "small" requests/response but for request/response
that has body data that exceed some predefined amount I would like to split
the request/response to chunks ( my own chunking mechanism, not related to
HTTP chunking) to better handle such scenarios and not hold the entire data
in the server's memory.

In order to do that I need access to the request/response body bytes,
I came by this thread:
http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/undertow-dev/2015-January/001080.html and
tried to implement both proposed solutions

When I used the async interface:

HttpServerExchange.getResponseSender().send(bodyByteBuffer, myIoCallback)

Sometimes my callback just not called ( nor the onComplete or the
onException callbacks) for unknown reasons.

So I tried the blocking interface instead ( from dispatched handler ):

HttpServerExchange.startBlocking()

HttpServerExchange.getResponseSender().send(bodyByteBuffer)

That works but I read somewhere in this mailing list that the async
interface is more efficient.

The same behavior occurred when trying to receive the request body using:
HttpServerExchange.getRequestReceiver()
and also solved using the blocking interface.

Am I missing something? what are the best practices for reading/writing
partial request/response body?

Best,
Eldad.