[undertow-dev] Worker thread queue size and timeout behavior

Brad Wood bdw429s at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 00:04:48 EST 2018

I'm looking for a bit of understanding on just how Undertow handles large
numbers of requests coming into a server.  Specifically when more requests
are being sent in than are being completed.  I've been doing some load
testing on a CFML app (Lucee Server) where I happen to have my io-threads
set to 4 and my worker-threads set to 150.  I'm using a monitoring tool
(FusionReactor) that shows me the number of currently executing threads at
my app and under heavy load I see exact 150 running HTTP threads in my app
server, which makes sense since I have 150 worker threads.  I'm assuming
here that I can't simultaneously process more requests than I have worker
threads (please correct if I'm off there)

So assuming I'm thinking that through correctly, what happens to additional
requests that are coming into the server at that point?  I assume they are
being queued somewhere, but

   - What is this queue?
   - How do I monitor it?
   - How big can it get?
   - Where do I change the size?
   - How long do things stay in there before sending back an error to the
   HTTP client?
   - Can I control what error comes back to the HTTP client in that
   scenario?
   - If I'm using an HTTP/S and AJP listener, do they all share the same
   settings?  Do they share the same queues?

I've done a bit of Googling and reviewed some docs but haven't quite found
any definitive information on this, and a lot of info I found was about
Wildfly specifically so I wasn't sure how much of it applied.

Thanks!

~Brad

*Developer Advocate*
*Ortus Solutions, Corp *