[undertow-dev] Reading request body parsed/buffered by RequestBufferingHandler

Stuart Douglas sdouglas at redhat.com
Tue Jul 3 19:35:43 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 8:15 PM Girish Sharma <scrapmachines at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Stuart,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. I have some comments below:
>
> You just read it as normal
>>
>  I am assuming that by normal, you mean the
>
> exchange.startBlocking() + (InputStream stream =
> exchange.getInputStream())
>
> approach to read the input stream? But then what benefit we get here as
> compared to not using the RequestBufferingHandler and directly using this
> approach? Is the following loop (typically used in reading input stream)
> going to be much more efficient?:

Say you have a slow mobile client that takes 2s to upload its request.
Without the request buffering handler the worker thread will be blocked for
2s. If you have lots of these slow clients you could exhaust the worker
thread pool, causing request to queue and generally decreasing performance.
If you use the request buffering handler the worker thread will not start
work until after the data has been read, so it does not block on IO.

Stuart