[undertow-dev] UTF8 characters in response headers when using HTTP/2

Kim Rasmussen kr at asseco.dk
Wed Jul 4 04:07:51 EDT 2018

Hi,

I have a setup where I have my own variant of a ProxyHandler within
undertow.
In one case, I proxy requests towards an IIS running MailEnable - if I try
to download a webmail attachment where the filename contains non-ascii
characters, MailEnable sends the filename in UTF-8 characters in the HTTP
header.

I guess this is kinda a violation of the HTTP protocol, but thats how it is.

When I run my undertow proxy using HTTP1.1 between the browser and
undertow, everything works as expected - the browser detects and supports
UTF-8 characters in the filename in the HTTP headers.
But, if I run HTTP/2 between the browser and undertow, using Chrome I am
getting an SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR displayed within chrome.

So, I guess that it is because Chrome chokes on the UTF-8 characters in the
HTTP/2 headers - I tried digging into the spec but I cannot really find
anything mentioned there regarding restrictions on header content - just on
header naming.

Any suggestions ? I could of course strip the invalid characters from the
response header before forwarding them but wanted to check if there is a
better way first....

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

*Kim Rasmussen*