[webbeans-dev] TCK

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 18:24:38 EST 2008

Here is our initial plan for the TCK. WDYT?

TCK Plan
-------------

Initially we will develop a standalone TCK that tests the assertions
the spec makes about Web Beans. This won't test assertions that the
spec makes about integration with other EE technologies. The basis for
this will be the unit test suite of the RI (about 230 working tests,
250 stub tests).

We will also need to develop an integration test suite that tests the
assertions the Web Beans spec makes about integration with other EE
technologies, and EE itself. As EE integration is still in a state of
flux we will concentrate to start with on the standalone tests.

Standalone Testsuite
-----------------------------

Shane will move the tests from the existing RI testsuite, leaving the
RI testsuite with only RI specific tests:

1) move @SpecAssertion tests into tck project, initially with a
dependency on RI classes
2) replace all dependencies on RI classes with interfaces, the so
called "porting package". All implementors who wish to use TCK must
implement the porting package APIs. A properties file or system
properties are used is used to specify the concrete classes to use,
and loaded from the classpath.
3) Implement the porting package for the RI
4) Currently there is no good way to identify assertions in the spec.
The solution used so far is to highlight the assertions in the spec,
and then check each is implemented. Until the spec settles down, I
suggest we do as we are now - make sure that most stuff is covered.
Once the spec is changing less, we need to create a list of assertions
(e.g. in XML) and use Hardy's tool to match assertions to covered
sections in the code (from @SpecAssertion)

In parallel, we need to increase our test coverage. I'm trying to see
if we can get another person to work specifically on implementing
tests to help Shane out.

Integration Testsuite

Still TBD.