[webbeans-dev] Re: Removal of pluggability contracts

Gavin King gavin at hibernate.org
Sat Dec 20 23:16:55 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Gavin King <gavin at hibernate.org> wrote:

> SFSBs with no web bean remove method
> ================================
> We have an open issue w.r.t destruction of SFSBs which have no web
> bean remove method. Now that the requirement for pluggability is gone,
> I think we should simply say that in this case, the container must
> destroy the SFSB when its context ends *without* calling any remove
> method.
>
> I will go ahead and make that change unless there is someone who
> objects to this.

Alternatively, we could actually go further than this and simply
eliminate the concept of the "Web Bean remove method" and the
@Destructor annotation. @Remove methods are really intended to be
called by clients, not by the container - and if you just want a
callback, we already have @PreDestroy. I'm not sure that @Destructor
is really adding any additional value.

The more I think about this, the more I think this is the right way to
go (and it simplifies the spec).

gavin.king at gmail.com