[webbeans-dev] Fwd: Removal of pluggability contracts

Gavin King gavin at hibernate.org
Sat Dec 20 23:17:08 EST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gavin King <gavin at hibernate.org>
Date: Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: Removal of pluggability contracts
To: Java Community Process JSR #299 Expert List <JSR-299-EG at jcp.org>,
Michael Keith <michael.keith at oracle.com>, Jim Knutson
<knutson at us.ibm.com>

A couple of issues have come up as part of this:

SFSBs with no web bean remove method
================================
We have an open issue w.r.t destruction of SFSBs which have no web
bean remove method. Now that the requirement for pluggability is gone,
I think we should simply say that in this case, the container must
destroy the SFSB when its context ends *without* calling any remove
method.

I will go ahead and make that change unless there is someone who
objects to this.

Name of "Manager" interface
======================
The word "manager" is no longer used in the spec, except as the name
of the interface that is now used mostly as an SPI. Should we change
the name of this interface? Alternatives include:

  Container
  Directory
  Factory
  Injector

Thoughts?

Terminology for "child containers"
I changed "child manager" to "child container", however I'm not really
happy with this terminology. I think we need a new word to use when
talking about the hierarchical model. Something like "module" or
"assembly" makes sense, but I'm afraid that those are already pretty
overloaded terms.

Suggestions?

gavin.king at gmail.com

gavin.king at gmail.com