[webbeans-dev] Basing the RI on the JBoss MC

Pete Muir pete.muir at jboss.org
Fri May 9 12:12:15 EDT 2008

On 9 May 2008, at 17:00, Christian Bauer wrote:

> On May 09, 2008, at 17:50 , Pete Muir wrote:
>
>> If we use the MC we get ootb:
>>
>> * flexible deployment system
>
> This, for me, is one of the deciding factors. The current Seam 2.x
> deployment system is crude and has to be rewritten anyway in the
> next major release to support
>
> a) Seam usage/deployment outside of a web container (Swing apps, etc.)
>
> b) Customized deployment for highly dynamic applications (I'm
> currently struggling with a hot-redeployable plugin.jar system on
> top of Seam).
>
> Although we made some of the Seam 2 deployment architecture more
> extensible in 2.1 with DeploymentStrategy, any user who wants a) or
> b) still has to roll their own deployment system starting with the
> Initialization class (and lots of hacking).

Yes, the entire Seam bootstrap and deployment system is very cobbled
together for a specific environment, and isn't very extensible (aka a
mess). I certainly don't want to reuse it for WBRI (but we could take
the lessons learnt). But it is a big thing to implement nicely. As we
are going to use WBRI for the Seam 3 core it is important to get this
right.