[webbeans-dev] Fwd: Several proposals

Gavin King gavin at hibernate.org
Thu Oct 30 04:10:29 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gavin King <gavin at hibernate.org>
Date: Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 2:09 AM
Subject: Several proposals
To: Java Community Process JSR #299 Expert List <JSR-299-EG at jcp.org>

Hi, everyone, here's a list of things I have on my todo list that we
either did not have time to discuss for the public draft, or that I've
noticed since:

Manager.parse()
===============
Currently the only place that Web Beans may be declared using XML is a
file named web-beans.xml. I can see that third-party extensions would
like to allow web bean declarations to live in other files. So I would
like to propose the addition of a public parse() method to the Manager
interface that would load and parse a file with a given path from the
classpath and install all web beans declared therein.

Initial field values
====================
I think we should probably add BigDecimal/BigInteger to the list of
types that accept initial field values in 9.2.5. I *definitely* think
we should add the java.lang primitive wrapper types to the list.

Interceptor/decorator enablement
================================
Currently the spec is no explicit as to whether the deployment type of
an interceptor/decorator has to be enabled for the
interceptor/decorator to be enabled. I suggest that we say explicitly
that the interceptor/decorator must be (a) listed in web-beans.xml and
(b) have an enabled deployment type.

"EJB 3-style" language
======================
Currently the spec only requires support for "EJB 3-style" session
beans, without really saying what that means. Really what it means is
that we don't require support for EJBs with home interfaces. We have
two options here:

(1) be explicit about what "EJB 3-style" means
(2) support EJBs with home interfaces if they have a create method
with no parameters or annotated @Initializer

I'm not sure which is best. For completeness, I don't see why we can't
support EJBs with home interfaces, but on the other hand it seems that
this feature is now basically deprecated, and I assume that support
for EJB home interfaces will not be required in EJB lite.

What do you guys think?

Interceptor stack creation
At the very last minute I made a change to section 5.8, after a
discussion with the EJB EG, and introduced a silly bug. The spec
currently says that interceptor/decorator stacks are created after
@PostConstruct is called, which of course is wrong, since the
interceptor might have a @PostConstruct. Let's fix that bug.

gavin.king at gmail.com

gavin.king at gmail.com