[webbeans-dev] May we ditch the ScopeType annotation?

Mark Struberg struberg at yahoo.de
Fri Aug 21 05:28:28 EDT 2009

Hi!

Just a few thoughts.

If we need our applications to use the @ScopeType annotation instead of the @Scope which is defined in JSR-330, we will never get apps for JSR-330 running on our System.

Since Bob planes to introduce a portable SPI (as we currently have) for context implementations, it is imho increasingly important that we have to fully support @Scope. I think Bobs idea with the SPI is rubbish for JSR-330 as he will end up with the full blown complexity like we have, but being able to handle @Scope and only having to rewrite the Context implementations for it without touching the other parts of the app would be a huge improvement.

So why do we need the ScopeType instead of only using javax.inject.Scope?
  a) normal scope vs pseudo scope
  b) marking passivation capable scopes
anything missing?

Imho all the information currently residing in @ScopeType may easily be moved to the Context! So I think it does make no difference if the annotations knows about if a scope is a normal scope or if the Context of that very scope knows about it as long as the info is there at the time the actual contextual instance gets created.

So my proposal is as following:
.) ditch ScopeType
.) ditch NormalScope
.) add isNormalScope() and isPassivating() to the Context interface or somewhere else in that area

Wdyt?

txs and LieGrue,
strub