[weld-dev] (Archetype JBoss docs) Re: Getting started with Weld and JBoss AS 6

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:55:30 EST 2009

> If it matters, I wasn't really suggesting changing the maven setup, just
> wondering if life would be easier for the ANT users if their script read
> JBOSS_HOME as it is the only value needed to run the examples in JBoss.

Ah. That went over my head ;)

> The obvious side effect would be that they could simply set an environment
> variable that was probably already set on their system and then run either
> the maven or the ant version without editing files.

Right. For most end users (should we say corp developers), they don't have
10 application servers installed like us project devs. So JBOSS_HOME is
actually much more reliable. I'm quiet certain you can reference JBOSS_HOME
in the build.properties file, so perhaps make that the default?

build.properties

jboss.home=${env.JBOSS_HOME}

> There's a tiny benefit for those checking out the code from SVN.  They
> won't get icons in Tortoise/Eclipse telling them they have uncommitted
> changes.  I usually personally avoid setting machine-specific files in SCM
> if I can find an alternative as I hate it when I am the dummy who
> accidentally commits his local config.

I'm pretty sure that Pete made the build accommodate a
local.build.properties file (which is not in SVN and excluded) to avoid the
modified file problem. But still, the default suggested above could
circumvent having to make any change at all.

-Dan

--
Dan Allen
Registered Linux User #231597