[weld-dev] Should you allow starting of an external container from mvn test?

Steven Boscarine steven.boscarine at childrens.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 28 11:13:10 EST 2009

Hmm....
Sorry to come to the conversation late on this, but this e-mail is
raising a potential red flag for me.  I apologize if this has been
already addressed and I missed it, but...

Controlling the lifecycle of a non-embedded container from a build is
something you want to be very careful about from a security perspective.

Now, if you have a plugin that requires an explicit command as well as a
link in a settings.xml, that seems perfectly reasonable.

I am worried that a someone running "mvn test" for application foo.war
could startup non-foo wars because they were deployed to a local container.

Also, I am concerned that it may startup the wrong container and cause
similar problems.  I usually work on multiple applications at a time and
have a container for foo.war and a separate container for bar.war.  I
may think it is starting up foo's container, but it may startup bar's
container and cause trouble.

For me, that can get really dangerous because my applications contact
external resources on startup as well as access things like files and
bdb databases that are not suitable for usage by multiple applications.
They could corrupt the file with simultaneous writes or more likely
write duplicate or erroneous data.

I know I sound like a member of the "tin-foil-hat-club" here, but I deal
with patient data, so my apps are required by law to be paranoid about
security.