[webbeans-dev] Request, Conversation and Session Scopes in Web Beans SE

Peter Royle howardmoon at screamingcoder.com
Wed May 6 17:03:50 EDT 2009

Hi,

> Looks good, though I think we shouldn't have session or request in
> here (just conversation and application)

I can certainly see the benefits of not having to worry about Request
and Session scopes for standalone desktop apps.

There were 2 main reasons I chose to include Request and Session though:

 - Primarily for applications other than standalone desktop apps which
happen to have multiple user support and/or are server based, but no
HTTP/Servlet based front-end. For example a Trading platform using FIX
protocol. This almost makes me think that non Servlet scopes belong in a
separate extension - something that could be used in conjunction with
EJB Lite. Thinking aloud a bit there.
 - Secondarily, it made it easier to implement Conversation, which uses
those two scopes in the existing implementation.

What are your thoughts on these?

> Yes, I need to finish the lifeycle SPI stuff, I got the idea straight
> now :-)
> My idea is that lifecycle just has methods to do the relevant things
> here, and you don't need to worry about things like conversation
> manager...
>
> Let me do this work (will be the week after next I think), and then we
> can review?

Sounds good!

> > I would like to clean up the syntax for starting requests because it's
> > obviously pretty ugly and verbose right now. Maybe some kind of
> > annotation and interceptor pair perhaps? And possibly some
> > Swing-specific helpers to make it easy to attach the Request context
> > a button click? Making this sort of stuff more transparent is my next
> > goal.

I guess, as hinted above, probably doing away with Request and Session
scope, or somehow making it completely transparent at least is the way
forward here. Agree?

Cheers,

Pete.