[webbeans-dev] Request, Conversation and Session Scopes in Web Beans SE

Peter Royle howardmoon at screamingcoder.com
Thu May 7 16:03:13 EDT 2009

> > - Primarily for applications other than standalone desktop apps which
> > happen to have multiple user support and/or are server based, but no
> > HTTP/Servlet based front-end. For example a Trading platform using FIX
> > protocol. This almost makes me think that non Servlet scopes belong
> > in a
> > separate extension - something that could be used in conjunction with
> > EJB Lite. Thinking aloud a bit there.
>
> I'm no expert on desktop apps, but I can see that session might make
> sense here - do you have multiple users logged in at the same time?

Yeah let me try to explain myself a bit more clearly.

So for a standalone desktop app there would only be one user at any
given time. In which case, having to deal with session scope and even
request scope seems a bit naff. But as the Numberguess example shows
there's potential value in having conversation scope and application
scope.

But take as an example a trading platform which runs as a service in a
dark room somewhere with a purely message based interface (eg: FIX
protocol). This is obviously not a desktop app, nor does it have any
servlet or web based functionality. However it will still have the
notion of multiple users logging in concurrently, sending through
requests and probably long running conversations as well, for things
like trade negotiations. So in this case we could make use of all 3
scopes (session, conversation and request).

Pretty straightforward, I think we're all agreed so far. So finally ...

Imagine implementing a swing based front-end to this trading platform as
a desktop app. If you as a developer are provided with a conversation
scope to code against on both the server and client side, is that a good
thing, or could things start to get a bit confusing? If you could align
the conversations easily between the client and server I think it would
be a good thing. At the very least, on the client side you could make
your conversationId conversation scoped ;).

Thoughts?

Pete.