[webbeans-dev] Replacement pattern for Manager.getInstanceByType

Clint Popetz cpopetz at gmail.com
Thu May 28 11:52:57 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:51 AM, David Allen <drallendc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 11:43 -0400, Dan Allen wrote:
> > On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Pete Muir <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >         On 28 May 2009, at 16:04, Dan Allen wrote:
> >
> >         > On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Pete Muir
> >         > <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:
> >         >         Yeah, this is used a lot in the TCK, and maybe a bit
> >         >         in addons which enable injection in types WB doesn't
> >         >         know about (?), but I don't think users will hit it.
> >         >
> >         > Correct, users really should hit this. It's used heavily in
> >         > tests, for instance in AbstractWebBeans tests.
> >

> >         Hmm, yes you might well want to use this in a standalone, unit
> >         test, environment as an entry point.
> >
> > It would be great if we can add a convenience method to
> > AbstractWebBeansTest. That would pretty much clear up any annoyances.
>
> Yes, that is the plan.  Ditto for the TCK abstract test class.

I got the TCK compiling locally with the new BeanManager interface, but
rather than adding the bridge methods to the old SPI methods in the abstract
test class, I added them to a separate utility class, because several things
in the TCK that aren't test subclasses use this functionality as well.

I can also add a method to the abstract test class to delegate to the
utility class.

Is that ok?

-Clint

> >         > It is also used when you are entering from outside the WB
> >         > environment. You get a handle to manager and lookup the type
> >         > that gives you entry. For instance, you might look up the
> >         > Identity component and then invoke some method on it which
> >         > may trigger a chain of WB injections once "inside".
> >

> >         Yes, this is addon frameworks, not end users.
> >
> > Yep, agreed. I've found that injection is sufficient for all but those
> > "entry point" cases.
> >
> > -Dan
> >

> > --
> > Dan Allen
> > Senior Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
> >
> > http://mojavelinux.com
> > http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction
> > http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan
> >
> > NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
> > basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
> > from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a
> > week,
> > it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
> > caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message
> > if
> > you feel that it did not reach my attention.

Clint Popetz
http://42lines.net
Scalable Web Application Development